Holding trademarks, legal terms update, & ecosystem initiatives
OSC is fiscal host to over 2,250 open source projects on Open Collective.
Holding project assets and trademarks
Open Source Collective now has the ability to hold trademarks and other non-monetary assets for open source projects. If you are interested in this service, please get in touch.
OSC Ecosystem Initiatives
We strive both to support our Collectives and to increase the health and sustainability of the open source ecosystem overall, with initiatives like FOSS Contributor funds, a coalition focused on dependency graphing, and the SustainOSS movement.
Update to our legal terms
We have made changes to the agreement governing the relationship between OSC and Collectives, the most significant of which enables holding non-monetary assets such as trademarks. We also took the opportunity to make several other small improvements. The basic services and fees of OSC remain unchanged. Continuing to use our service indicates your acceptance of the new terms.
GitHub Sponsors Integration
To put a Sponsor button on your GitHub repo, as opposed to your individual profile, you need a corporate bank account. OSC is able to provide this, and credit Sponsors funds to your Collective balance. Almost 50 Collectives now getting monthly payouts, totalling over $40,000 so far. This integration is still in beta, and we've had a few issues resulting in payment delays, but now things are running a lot smoother. We're excited to grow our partnership with GitHub and continue to improve the experience.
Featured Collective: SMAT
Amidst the election, a new open source network map analyzes politicians' tweets. This anti-'infodemic' tool can tell you who Trump interacts with and who has influence on politicians online, and reveal dodgy bot networks and fake accounts.
We're transparent about our financial and governance activities, and we regularly post updates on the blog.
News & Inspiration
- Check out the most recent Open Collective platform update, including powerful new tools for dealing with spam, inspiring Collective stories, and news about fiscal hosts in the UK and NZ.
- According to a video summarising new research only 0.04% of FOSS projects even ask for donations, and only 10% of those get over $1,000/mo (here's the full paper).
- The FOSS Governance Collection is an indexed collection of governance documents from Free and Open Source Software projects.
- ESLINT's year in review of paying contributors.
- Open Anniversary aims to provide an innovative and inclusive platform for the community to celebrate, remember, and reimagine the open source movement.
- FOSS Responders gets a mention in Linux Format's in-depth dive into funding free software.
- Call for submissions to COMPOST, a zine about the digital commons.
- FLOSSbank is a package manager wrapper that uses ad revenue and monthly donations to support maintainers.
- The Anaconda Dividend Program is sustaining the open-source DS/ML ecosystem.