Open Collective Update—April 2021
Funds for Open Source
Our new initiative, Funds for Open Source, has hit a nerve!
"Open Collective opens cash conduit between tech biz and unappreciated developers."
"Open Collective is trying to make working full-time for an open-source project an alternative to a career developing for a for-profit company."
"Airbnb already has a fund. Indeed already has a fund. More to come?"
- Updates: Keep your community up to date! We've upgraded the text editor, improved formatting in emails, mobile, and online, better surfaced recipients, and released Updates for Projects.
- Online Events: When creating an event, you can now pick "online" for the location, and add a URL and instructions for participants.
- Flexible Tiers: Allow both one-off or recurring contributions within the same tier, instead of having to pick one or the other.
- Webhooks: Smarter integrations with Slack and Discord, so you can automatically post activity into your chat space.
New Pricing Page
Open Collective pricing can be a bit complex to explain, given the different ways people engage with the platform. We've designed a new page to lay it all out clearly.
News & Inspiration
- Welcome to our newest team member, Ben Nickolls! He is stepping in as ED of OSC, and CPO of Open Collective.
- Open Collective Foundation continues growing fast. See the latest OCF update for incredible stories of communities across the US.
- Introducing Casa Hacker, a new fiscal host in Brazil! Learn more in English or Portuguese.
- Open Collective Foundation's Internet Freedom Fund is starting to see real research getting published, like this paper on the social media 'infodemic'.
- The IO Foundation runs a monthly event called TechUP, to support the next generation of Human and Digital Rights defenders: programmers. They want to hear from those seeking and offering support with capacity and skill building.
- Terra Incognita NYC is a report that maps how digital public space emerged during the COVID-19 pandemic, including mutual aid groups, hundreds of which joined our platform.
Tweets that make us proud
Top Financial Contributors
- Hopewell Fund $20,000
- Bennett Smith $13,941
- XR France $12,168
- ThemeIsle $10,400
- Indeed $10,000
- PolyPoly $8,423
- Capacity Project $8,124
- Airbnb $7,837
- Jesse Cool $7,700
- Chrome $7,500
by new contributors
- Ankidroid +279
- Mpls Northside Mutual Aid +238
- Women Who Code Atlanta +144
Top New Collectives
- Countering Slowdown $21,244
- Southern Solidarity $18,525
- Ev. Fight for Black Lives $6,121